Thursday, September 13, 2007

Res. Life and the City #2- Tired

Carrie: There are very few things this New Yorker loves as much as Sunday brunch. You can sleep until noon and still get eggs anywhere in the city, alcohol is often included with the meal, and Sunday is the one day a week you get the single woman's sports pages: the New York Times wedding section.

Miranda: I love how they say "until recently, the bride worked."

Carrie: Yeah, meaning she quit her job as soon as she found her soul-mate-slash-investment-banker.


First, a confession. When I was a grad student (a mere four months ago) I really thought that things would slow down once I got my first professional position. I figured that by taking out class attendance, studying for tests, writing papers, reading volumes of books per week, and other such nonsense, I would have time for myself. Perhaps I'm going about things in the wrong way, but that really has NOT been the case so far.

The past two weeks I have been working from 10am-12am every weekday and have put in at least five hours each day on the weekend. Now I know what you are thinking. Yes, this is a lot of time and yes, I should speak to my supervisor about it, but here's the thing: I really like doing it! I feel really fulfilled by my position, I've been getting a lot of great feedback, and I honestly feel like I am coming into my own as a professional. I believe that the more work I put into my building, staff, and residents at the beginning, the less I will have to deal with discipline, teamwork, and other such issues throughout the year.

Although I've been tremendously productive, the amount of work has definitely taken a toll on my body and I felt it more than ever the past few days. Yes, I have finally gotten sick. I'm taking it as a sign from God that I am supposed to slow down. I usually get sick the day after Opening Weekend, but I think my body knew that it had to keep going throughout the next few weeks to make sure everything was set for the year. However, I am really feeling the effects now. The problem is that the pace of my job has not slowed down, even though my body is craving a rest.

This brings me to my next point. I don't want to slow down. Yes, it is crazy and out of control at times, but I really love it! I was talking to a co-worker the other day about what we would do if we won the SuperLotto which was around 300 million dollars. I paused for a moment and then said that I would probably keep working in Res. Life. My coworker looked at me like I was totally and completely nuts, but I honestly think I would continue to work. Perhaps not as a live-in professional, but I can't imagine my life outside of a college setting. Sure I would want to see the world and give to charities and maybe give a building in my name, but I really think I would continue to work and be totally happy doing so. I think I would continue to work on a college campus even if I did find my "soul-mate-slash-investment-banker." After a little bit of reflection, I think this is a sign that I am truly in the right profession, field, and position. So I continue on my way, exhausted but happy, sick but fulfilled and I wouldn't want it any other way.

No comments: