Friday, November 2, 2007

In Medias Res # 9- Giving it up for the Kids

This is a brief one cause I am swamped. More of a reaction than anything.



So, I know this is not necessarily what this blog is about, but I’m giving album of the year to Battles’ Mirrored. It came out five months ago, and I cannot see myself falling for any album in the remainder of this year as I have for this one. I’ve been listening to it all summer, and its still not old.

Phew. I’m not nearly as stressed or disconnected as my co-blogger. I think a lot of this just has to do with the fact that I’m not in residence life. Probably everybody in the field can agree that that particular area takes a much bigger psychic toll on your, especially for new professionals. I give much props to the people who live in. Six months ago I thought I could do it, but at the moment I am so happy to go home to my wonderful apartment every day (even the days when it’s a pig sty).

This weekend is what I am starting to refer to as a “Giving it up for the Kids” weekend. Or- because we love our acronyms- a GIUFK. Basically from this morning through Sunday afternoon I have been in hard core event management mode. I met with students all morning in addition to running off materials and finalizing my presentation for a program I’m doing tomorrow (at a campus two hours away). Also, midway through the day I got offered the chance to have a nationally renowned speaker on campus tomorrow for free. Of course, I’m not here, but my students are so I set up the program (and marketed the program) amidst doing everything else. Around 4pm I realized I hadn’t eaten anything to day, and so I am chowing down on some Subway as I type this.

I was definitely surprised to read my co-blogger’s last post this week, though. As crazy as things are for me (and they are crazy) I feel pretty grounded. I’ve written about my supervisor before, and my coworkers. I think on the whole I lucked into better circumstances, rather than I am better at creating a work life balance. I think work has forced me to confront life a little bit more.

I’m looking forward to going away this weekend with my students. A friend from grad school will be at the program, so we’ll grab lunch and certainly kvetch about our jobs. Sunday I come back and I’m training more student leaders, and then before I know it? It will be Monday again. That said, as much as I hate waking up, I don’t really mind coming to work.

No comments: