Monday, March 10, 2008

Res. Life and the City #15- Meet Us Halfway

Normal is the halfway point between what you want and what you can get. ~Samantha

Alright, before I get started into the good stuff, let's get a few things out of the way. First, I apologize wholeheartedly for the lack of posts. As I was looking through the archives, I must say that I am ashamed that I haven't posted in over a month! Clearly, this is unacceptable, especially since I agreed to post once or twice a week when I signed on for this blog so many moons ago. Second, In Media Res. is kicking my ass with all of the posts! I realize that it's not a competition, but if you take a look at some of my posts from last year, you know that I need to work on this aspect of my personality. Whatever, it's quality, not quantity, right? Right?

Anyway, I must say that I've been not only intrigued, but also inspired with the posts of my co-blogging plans. Not only has In Media Res. been entertaining and enjoyable, but the exploits of the two new job searchers has made me thrilled that I'm not going through that process again and simultaneously exciting to be on the other side of the table at ACPA. I feel professionally obligated to respond to some of the assertions made by The Great Fishbowl Quest. A few weeks ago my co-blogger wrote:

LESSON 1: Don’t show employers your cards: regardless of your excitement, level of interest, or fear of losing their interest. I promise that you can get a job without ever telling one school that they are your number one.

As a new professional working on my department's recruitment and selection committee, I have to say that I was disheartened to read this post. While I understand that institutions will be told throughout conferences and interview seasons that we are "definitely in my top three" there is no reason to hold back on your excitement. We want to know if you are excited about us! We want to know that you could envision yourself moving to our city and school! Believe it or not, we do evaluate you on things that aren't simply on the interview questionnaire such as your enthusiasm, passion for the position, and potential for moving to our school. If you keep your cards close to your vest, it will be very easy for employers to lose interest and pursue candidates who may not be as qualified, but who are more passionate about the position and institution. While I am by no means advising any candidate to oversell their excitement and string along an institution, I do hope that all of you new candidates will stay true to your personality and not become a vault of emotions when you are under the assumption that you are just "playing the game." While it's true that it is a candidate's market and that employers have to do the woo-ing, don't you want to end up at an institution that is just as excited about you and you are about them?

LESSON 2: Don’t leave employers hanging when you decide that you aren’t interested. Let them know as soon as you make the decision. There is nothing more frustrating than a candidate who shows interest and then never responds.You have control as a candidate to pick who you interview with and who you pursue. After all, you’re the one committing to a new job.

While I do agree wholeheartedly with the idea of not leaving candidates hanging on, please know that employers get just as (if not more) excited about prospective candidates as candidates do about prospective schools. I remember the rush of endorphins and the smile that came to my face when I read over job descriptions or institution profiles as a candidate and believe it or not, this same experience happens when we read a cover letter, resume, or thank-you note from a candidate. I think we have even more investment in candidates because we are investing all of this time and energy and effort into an actual person, while the candidate is being pulled in a thousand directions when interviewing with an institution. Candidates have to think about the geographic location, salary, benefits, living conditions, co-workers, potential supervisor, institutional culture, weather, partners, pets, parking, professional development, and the the list goes on. We just care about that singular candidate and their experience. Now, I realize that I am coming from a distinct point of view given my institutional culture and my experiences with my own search committee, but that's where I stand. While it is true that candidates are committing to a new job, institutions and departments are committing to a new co-worker, colleague, and supervisee. As we all know, adding one person to the mix of a group can seriously change the dynamics so don't underestimate the impact that you can add to a department. We need to know that candidates can see themselves fitting into our already established culture, but we can't know that for sure if you don't tell us!

Basically, I urge all of you to be true to yourself as a candidate and don't get caught up in the game. Do you honestly want to work for people who are good at playing the game or people who are just good people? Ask yourself this the next time you speak with an employer and you may be surprised with the results.

No comments: